Job Title: Technical Director, Malaria Entomology and Vector Control, Tanzania Case Management and Surveillance Activity*
About the job
Department: Anglophone Africa
Based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports to Chief of Party, Tanzania Case Management and Surveillance Activity
Start Date: Approximately August 2022
Contingent upon funding
Who We Are
With 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The anticipated Tanzania Malaria Case Management and Surveillance Activity, a five -year Cooperative Agreement, seeks to reduce the burden of Malaria and move towards the long-term goals of Malaria elimination. This activity will focus on Malaria Case Management, quality improvement for Malaria in pregnancy, Malaria Surveillance, Entomological monitoring, and drug efficacy monitoring, targeting pregnant women and children under five in the Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar.
The Malaria, Entomology and Vector Control Technical Director will work in close collaboration with the CoP and technical staff of the program to provide strategic input on issues related to improving quality of entomological monitoring in both Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar. S/he will provide guidance of the Government of The United Republic of Tanzania on other potentially viable vector control interventions that might work in the Mainland and/or Zanzibar settings. The Malaria Entomology and Vector Control Technical Director will be responsible for provide inputs into all Tanzania Malaria Case Management reports related to entomology monitoring and vector control.
- Under the supervision of the COP and in line with USAID and PSI policies, the Malaria Entomology and Vector Control Technical Director will be responsible for:
- In collaboration with the COP, project leadership and country stakeholders, provide key strategic input to the program such as identifying and implementing strategies to assist and build the capacity of the Government of The United Republic of Tanzania and local organization in conducting entomological monitoring including community – based entomology activities;
- Collaborate with local organization that conduct entomological monitoring to provide technical assistance and build their capacity in translating study results into clear communications and advocacy for government agencies and policy makers;
- Provide guidance to The Government of Tanzania and local organizations to ensure that all entomological monitoring activities adhere to WHO protocols and tools;
- Lead the quality of the entomological monitoring in both Mainland and Zanzibar. S/he will provide guidance to the GoT on other potentially viable vector control interventions that might work in the Mainland and/or Zanzibar settings. The Entomology Technical Director will be responsible for providing input into all TMCM reports related to entomology monitoring and vector control
- Remain apprised of the most current WHO recommendations for insecticides and ensure the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) and Zanzibar Malaria Elimination Program (ZAMEP) are continuously updated;
- In collaboration with NMCP and ZAMEP, design and implement capacity building efforts to strengthen entomological monitoring competency at national, regional and zonal levels;
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of projects deliverables for entomology activities as requested;
- Present entomology milestones and achievements in written reports and conference and meetings;
- Provide overall technical leadership and direction for the NMCP and ZAMEP program by cultivating and maintaining close working relationships with the entomology teams at NMCP and ZAMEP and with local partners implementing this work;
What are we looking for?
- Master’s Degree in public health, vector biology, entomology, or related field.
- A minimum of ten years or more management experience in the design implementation, and management of vector control programs of similar size, complexity, and setting.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with other and fostering collaborations to achieve project goals.
- Strong database, excel, and other computer data management skills preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills (including presentations) in written and spoken English.
- Excellent knowledge of data collection protocols for quality data collection and verification.
- Exceptional ability to analyze multiple sources of data to identify data trends and provide recommendations on projects implementation.
- Demonstrated track record in disseminating entomological information/programmatic and research outcomes and findings at national and international conference, as well as in the published peer -reviewed literature.
- Fluency in Swahili required; English written and oral communications skills.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.