VACANCY POSITION FOR THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Tanganyika Law Society (TLS)| is the National Bar Association of Tanzania Mainland established by the Tanganyika Law Society Act of 1954 [Cap 307 R.E. 2019] it membership is made-up by all practicing advocates in Tanzania as well as non-practicing advocates who opt to do so
Pursuant to the amendment of the Tanganyika Law Society Act vide Written Laws (Miscellaneous Amendments )Act No 1 of 2020, which among other things, established the position of the Executive Director of the Society who is supposed to be recruited and hired by the Governing Council, the Governing Council has embarked into a process of recruiting a dynamic, experienced, result oriented, and qualified individual to fill the position of Executive Director. The Executive Director, once hired, will become the Chief Executive Officer and Accounting Officer of the Society in line with S. 19 of the Tanganyika Law Society Act [Cap 307 R.E. 2019],
Job Title: Executive Director
Reporting to: The TLS Governing Council
The chief executive officer and the accounting officer of the Society and who shall charged with overseeing all daily operations, functions and activities of the Society all leading towards the realization of the Society’s vision and mission.
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam with frequent visits to chapter field offices
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Contract (five Years)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As specified under S.19 (5) the Tanganyika Law Society Act Cap 307 R.E. 2019, together with other laws, regulations and circulars; the Executive Director will have the following responsibilities:
- recruiting staff of the Secretariat
- Responsible for preparation of periodic strategic plans, annual action plans and budget
- Responsible for supervision and monitoring of the day to day implementation of objectives and functions of the Society
- Responsible for raising funds of the Society
- Be the Secretary to the TLS Governing Council
- Perform any other duties for the proper management and administration of the affairs of the Society.
- A detailed Job Description can be found underthis link: https://tls.or.tz/jobs/executive-director
- Proven experience in managing an office in similar position or its equivalent;
- Proven good moral standing in the Society;
- Agility and ability to work and serve an organization of people with diverse background and age groups;
- Experience in developing executable strategies and plans;
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles;
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as marketing, public relations, finance etc.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practices;
- □ Outstanding organization and leadership skills;
- Analytical abilities and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills in Kiswahili and English, a third United Nations’ language will be an added advantage.
- an advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and the courts subordinates thereto, with at least ten (10) years of practice;
- A master’s degree in laws, business administration or any related field is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience of managing duties of similar position for more than five years; and
- A member of the Society in good moral standing with high degree of professional ethics and Integrity.
How to apply:
Send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae, and photocopies of academic and professional certificates, names and contact details of three reachable referees. Applications should be addressed to:
Tanganyika Law Society P.O. Box 2148,
Wakili House No.21, Chato Street, Dar es Salaam.
Applications should be sent through email email@example.com .
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submitting the application is 30th March 2022
TLS is implementing an equal recruitment policy, therefore male, female and people with disabilities meeting the stipulated criteria and qualifications are encouraged to apply for the position.