Position: Creative Copywriter and Editor
Want to work for one of the largest charities of its kind in Africa? Are you an excellent storyteller? Can you create attention-grabbing content? Do you enjoy writing articles? Would you call yourself a master editor? Does it sound like we’re talking about you… Keep reading!
The School of St Jude is a pioneering leader in charitable education within Africa. We are giving 1,800 students free, quality education, 100’s of graduates access to higher education and provide more than 20,000 government school students with quality teachers each year. St Jude’s is funded by generous supporters from around the world who make our mission of giving bright, poor Tanzanian students a free, quality education possible.
Who are you
- You are a natural storyteller with robust communication skills, particularly in writing and public relations.
- You have extreme attention to detail and can pick out the smallest edits.
- You love telling people’s stories and can grab the attention of a reader within the first few sentences.
- Someone who has experience writing and editing with strict brand guidelines.
- A social media guru who loves producing compelling content with maximum engagement.
- You are a true believer in the organisation’s mission. Improving education is important to you and you understand the power that improving education can have on an individual, their community, and their country.
- You love marketing, communications, social media and creating change and driving an impact through your work.
- You go to sleep at night dreaming about punctuation, grammar and synonyms!
What you’ll do
- Detailed proofreading of multiple communications pieces for the Marketing team.
- Write and edit copy for fundraising campaigns, social media, newsletter articles websites, digital and print materials.
- Uphold the quality of all written deliverables and ensure they meet the school’s standards for creative excellence.
- Play an ongoing role in the development of the school’s brand voice and advocate for consistent application of copy standards across all communications materials.
- Generate content ideas for social media as well as produce reels and stories to increase our online engagement.
What we’re looking for
- Bachelor Degree or related experience with an emphasis on English, journalism or creative writing.
- At least 3 years working as a copywriter, journalist, social media manager in a creative environment.
- Portfolio containing finished professional pieces as well as conceptual work (required).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to receive and utilise feedback.
- Ability to write long-form copy as well as short, persuasive pieces.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment.
- A person who is open-minded and collaborative.
- Digital marketing campaign experience including paid advertising for social media.
- Naturally inquisitive, thrives on troubleshooting and finding creative solutions.
- Experience in fundraising or not-for profit marketing roles, specifically marketing to a Tanzanian/East African audience as well as an international audience.
- Understanding and experience with CRM systems, email builders, and content management systems (WordPress).
- Team player that loves to share ideas with an upbeat positive attitude, you thrive on creating challenges, and have a great sense of humour!
- The opportunity to use your talents and expertise to fight poverty through education and make a positive impact in Tanzania.
- A local wage that will allow you to live comfortably in Arusha – a vibrant gateway to Tanzania’s world-famous national parks.
- Mid-morning tea and lunch (during working days).
- 28 days annual leave per 12 month period (pro-rated for contracts less than 12 months).
- A flexible and supportive community of international and local employees.
- Ample opportunities for career progression and development.
Are you interested?
Send your cover letter and an up to date Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com (subject line must include the reference number: TSOSJ/HR/ADM/MKT/02/22)
Applications close on Friday 1st April 2022, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.