Position: Field Officer
FIELD OFFICER (Crop Productionist) IITA-TZ2022-R4D-004-NRS- MWANZA
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit https://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) has won a competitive two-year grant from IFAD- South-South Coop- eration(SSTC) Facility to implement a project titled ‘Supporting the Recovery of Priority Food Crop Value Chains from the Effects of COVID 19 to Strengthen Community Resilience, Markets, and Trade Development in Tanzania”. The project will operate in the Central Corridor and part of the Lake Zone and will provide technical input and support to the IFAD-funded Agriculture and Fisheries Development Programme (AFDP). The two-year grant will be implemented in collaboration with the Alliance Bioversi- ty International -CIAT (ABC) and other partners in target regions along the Central Corridor and part of the Lake Zone.
IITA-Tanzania office is seeking to recruit a qualified person to fill the vacancy of the Field Officer (Crop Productionist)” for the IITA-led IFAD-SSTC. The position requires a dedicated field officer to undertake field works that will ensure Quality seed producer network is strengthened and expanded to provide a delivery system for certified planting material, Good agronomic practices (GAP) promoted, and Efficiency of produce marketing maximized through facilitation of on-farm processing and marketing.
Duty Station: This is a Nationally Recruited Position, and the incumbent will be based in Mwanza, Tanzania.
The overall project goal is to restore and increase the productivity and profitability of key food and oilseed crops and enhance market access for rural women and young farmers in Tanzania to mitigate the negative impact of COVID-19 and enhance resilience. Specifically, the recruited Field Officer (Crop Productionistr will implement field activities ensuring Boosting resilience of smallholder farmers through enhancing the productivity of cassava, sunflower, and beans in semi-arid and drought-prone areas.
Scope of Work:
The Field Officer (Crop Productionist)” will ensure the network of Quality seed producers is strengthened and expanded to provide a delivery system for certified planting material by identifying and promoting high yielding, disease-resistant, market suitable varieties. Train seed entrepreneurs, expand field certification to support new seed entrepreneurs, especially women and youth. Scale-out the application of the digital app to enhance seed certification and promote marketing of quality cassava seed. He will also Promote Good agronomic practices (GAP) including Digital technologies, train Farmers on-farm processing, and establishment of Marketing networks.
- Management and oversight of the production activities.
- Designing Implementing and monitoring of on-farm demonstration gardens
- Coordinating with the district staff to provide extensive knowledge to farmers
- Organize and conduct training for farmers and community extension staff
- Data collection, entry, analysis, and synthesis.
- Supervision and coordination of staff, students, and field labor
- Coordinate activities with project partners as may be necessary
- Coordinating with the nutrition and market teams to ensure cooperation
- Routine planning and reporting meetings
- Any other duties as may be assigned by supervisor
- Regular reporting
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture or related field with 5 years working experience in Agricultural development.
- A strong ability to work within a team under minimum supervision and deliver results.
- Experience in data entry, data management, quality assurance, and timely reporting
- Proven knowledge of data collection tools including structured questionnaires.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment 3
- Ability to liaise with other project implementing multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English and local language
- Computer proficiency including MS Office (Word/ PowerPoint, advanced excel skills, and SPSS)
- Ability to complete multiple tasks under pressure and meet deadlines
The initial contract for the position is for two years: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds. The duty station for the position will be IITA in Mwanza. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is 07 April 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.